José Bértolo graduated in Languages, Literatures and Cultures (2013) from the University of Lisbon, from which he also earned his master’s degree in Comparative Studies (2015) with a dissertation on François Truffaut. He is a PhD student in the International Programme in Comparative Studies – PhDComp (University of Lisbon, Catholic University of Leuven, University of Bologna), and he was awarded a fellowship by the Portuguese national funding agency (FCT) for an individual research project on the relations between physical reality and the filmic image in the writings and films of Jean Epstein, Jean Painlevé and Jean Cocteau. He is an editor of Falso Movimento, an online journal on writing and film, and he edited with Clara Rowland A Escrita do Cinema: Ensaios (Documenta, 2015). He is a member of the Centre for Comparative Studies (University of Lisbon School of Arts and Humanities) and his research is focused on film studies, with a special incidence on relations between film and other arts, and on questions of representation and figuration, ontology and materiality of the filmic image.
Main areas of research
- Film theory and philosophy (representation, figuration, ontology and materiality);
- Film history (French cinema, Portuguese cinema, Asian cinemas, silent film, avant-gardes and new waves);
- Film analysis;
- Interart studies (literature, film, photography, painting);
- Realism and spectrality in art.
- Bértolo, José (2016), Imagens em Fuga: Os Fantasmas de François Truffaut. Lisboa: Documenta.
- Bértolo, José and& Clara Rowland (org.) (2015) A Escrita do Cinema: Ensaios. Lisboa: Documenta. More info.
Articles and book chapters
- Bértolo, José (2016), “A vida das imagens: The Fall of the House of Usher, segundo Jean Epstein”, Organon, V. 31, N.º 61: Literatura e outras linguagens, 117-132. More info.
- Bértolo, José (2016), “Finis Terræ, fora do mundo: notas sobre Jean Epstein e o mar”, in Pedro Eiras (org.), Libretos: Materiais para o fim do mundo – 6. Instituto de Literatura Comparada Margarida Losa, FLUP. More info.
- Bértolo, José (2016), “As palavras e os corpos: François Truffaut”, in Clara Rowland e Tom Conley (orgs.), Falso Movimento: ensaios sobre escrita e cinema. Lisboa: Cotovia, 93-106.
- Bértolo, José (2016), “Filmar em verso: Dimitri Kirsanoff e Herman G. Weinberg”, ESC:ALA: revista electrónica de estudos e práticas interartes, N.º 7. Instituto de Literatura Comparada Margarida Losa, FLUP. More info.
- Bértolo, José (2013), “Dimitri Kirsanoff na 1.ª vanguarda francesa”, Românica, N.º 21, Lisboa: Departamento de Literaturas Românicas, Faculdade de Letras da Universidade de Lisboa, 163-172.
- Bértolo, José (2013), “Narração e storytelling em Mysterious Object at Noon, de Apichatpong Weerasethakul”, MatLit, Vol. 1, N.º 2, More info.