CALL FOR FOUR (4) POST-DOCTORAL FELLOWSHIPS AT THE CENTRE FOR COMPARATIVE STUDIES (CENTRO DE ESTUDOS COMPARATISTAS), UNIVERSITY OF LISBON (Project UID/ELT/00509/2013), financed by Portuguese national funds — FCT / MEC (PIDDAC) and where appropriate co-financed by FEDER under the new PT2020 partnership agreement.
Four (4) Post-Doctoral Fellowships are open at the Centre for Comparative Studies, University of Lisbon (Project UID/ELT/00509/2013), financed by national funds — FCT / MEC (PIDDAC) and where appropriate co-financed by FEDER under the new PT2020 partnership agreement — under the following conditions:
1. Main research field: Comparative Studies
2. Requirements for admission: PhD at the date of the appointment in Humanities or Social Sciences
3. Work Plan: The four (4) post-doctoral fellows will carry out full-time advanced research within the Centre for Comparative Studies strategic programme.
Projects with a strong interdisciplinary component and innovative approaches will be given preference. By contributing to the scientific development of the research groups (RGs) and by working closely with the Principal Investigator and researchers of each group in terms of management and research organisation, the fellows are expected to foster and create new synergies between the RG’s.
Each postdoctoral fellowship is allocated to one of the four RGs. Therefore, the research project should match the RG’s objectives to which it applies.
Fellows will be provided with a shared office, access to computer and libraries, as well as other benefits and resources.
As part of their application, candidates should include a three-year project proposal specifying how and why it will contribute to the Centre’s overarching research line, “Comparatism, Reflective Cosmopolitanism and Critical Global Studies, and to the four existing Research Groups (For more information: http://www.comparatistas.edu.pt/en/the-center/the-center/presentation.html)..
N.B: Candidates are to submit only one application to one of the following positions, indicating the fellowship reference in the cover letter.
1 Fellowship – CITCOM, Citizenship, Critical Cosmopolitanism, Modernity/ies, (Post)Colonialism, RG-509-1937 (http://www.comparatistas.edu.pt/en/research-groups/citcom/)
Applicants prioritising an innovative and reflective dialogue between the Social Sciences and the Humanities are particularly welcome.
1 Fellowship – LOCUS, Spaces, Places, and Landscapes, RG-509-1996 (http://www.comparatistas.edu.pt/en/research-groups/locus/locus—spaces-places-landscapes.html)
We welcome applicants that approach the idea of globalisation from a critical perspective and are interested, and engaged, with the themes of the research group.
1 Fellowship – MORPHE, Text and Memory (RG-509-1999 http://www.comparatistas.edu.pt/en/research-groups/morphe/)
We welcome applicants interested in research on the aesthetic and cultural issues associated with memory, emotions and literary tradition.
1 Fellowship – THELEME, Interart and Intermedia Studies, RG-509-2000 http://www.comparatistas.edu.pt/en/researchgroups/theleme/http://www.comparatistas.edu.pt/en/research-groups/theleme/) .
We welcome applicants that are interested in questions of intermedia and/or translation between verbal, visual and audio media.
4. Legislation framework: The grant is regulated by the Law 40/2004, August 18 (Research Fellowship Holder Statute – http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/estatutobolseiro; Regulations for Research Fellowships of Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia — 2013 http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/regulamento.phtml.pt republished in attachment to Regulamento Nº 326/2013, in Diário da República, 2ª série, Nº 164, August 2, 2013), and also by the University of Lisbon Grants Regulation, approved by FCT, I.P (Despacho No 6984/2014, published, in Diário da República, 2ª série, Nº 102, May 28).
5. Place of work: The work will be developed at the Centre for Comparative Studies, University of Lisbon under the scientific supervision of the PI of the Research Group to which the fellow will be allocated.
6. Fellowship duration: The successful candidates will be expected to start in September 2015. The 12 months grant contracts may be renewed up to 6 years, in accordance with the provisions of Regulation of Research Fellowships from the Foundation for Science and Technology, I.P. – 2013, being it attributed to the project in question only during its eligibility period.
7. Monthly allowance: The fellowship will be in accordance with the Portuguese Science Foundation monthly maintenance stipend specifically €1495 per month, paid by bank transfer. (http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/valores.phtml.en) ).
The fellowship is conducted in exclusive dedication according to the article nr 5 of the Research Fellowship Holder Statute (http://www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/estatutobolseiro.phtml.en).
8. Selection method: The selection method has two steps (1st step: CV and Project with a 60% valuation), 2nd step: Interview, with a 40% valuation)
9. Selection Committee: Chair of the Jury: Prof. Manuela Ribeiro Sanches;
Permanent Members: Prof. Fernanda Mota Alves, Dr. Susana Araújo, Prof. Clara Rowland
Substitute Member: Prof. João Ferreira Duarte
10. Publication/notification of results: The final results of the evaluation will be posted at the Centre for Comparative Studies (http://www.comparatistas.edu.pt/en/) and at the FLUL websites (http://www.letras.ulisboa.pt/pt/investigacao/bolsas-de-investigacao/bolsas-flul) in July 2015. Candidates will be notified by email. Candidates will have ten days from the announcement of the results to present any formal complaint about these.
11. Deadlines: This call for applications is open until 2015-06-08.
• 2 (two) Confidential letters of recommendation to be emailed directly to CEC’s direction (email@example.com). Letters will be accepted until June 8, 2015).
• The dossier is to be mailed by the candidate to the following address:
Serviço de Pessoal
Faculdade de Letras da Universidade de Lisboa
Alameda da Universidade
1600 – 214 Lisboa
The dossier is to include:
1. PhD Certificate (or copy);
2. Cover letter (maximum 750 words);
3. Curriculum vitae;
4. Detailed research project (maximum 1500 words).
The project should have a strong comparatist and interdisciplinary component, while stating specifically how it fits the Research Group in which it should be included, as well as the contribution it will make to the Centre’s overarching research line. It should also include a description of the state of the art, a precise definition of the main aims and objects of the research, as well as the reasons why it will lead to innovative results and add value to research undertaken at the Centre. We recommend an attentive reading of each research groups specific goals: http://www.comparatistas.edu.pt/en/research-groups/groups/
NB: Candidates shall submit only 1 (one) application to one of the fellowships, indicating the fellowship reference [PostDoc-CEC-CITCOM (1); PostDoc-CEC-MORPHE (2); PostDoc-CEC-LOCUS (3); PostDoc-CEC-THELEME (4)] in the cover letter.
13. Organization contact data
Organization/institute: Centre for Comparative Studies, University of Lisbon
14. Required languages
Preference is given to candidates with knowledge of Portuguese or definite intention to learn the language.
The Chair of the Jury
Prof. Doutora Manuela Ribeiro Sanches